Universal Studios Japan (USJ) rides offer an incredible array of attractions, including heart-racing roller coasters and enjoyable family friendly rides, that guarantee an unforgettable experience.
In this guide, you’ll discover the 15 best Universal Studios Japan rides and attractions that you must try if this park is part of your Osaka itinerary.
All of the recommended USJ rides listed below will leave you with a strong desire to try even more. So, let’s check out now! 😊
Universal Studios Japan Rides: Top Pick Attractions
1. Mario Kart: Koopa’s Challenge
Don’t miss out on one of Universal Studios Japan’s top-notch rides, Mario Kart: Koopa’s Challenge. This new attraction at USJ is completely filled with fun and excitement.
Board the 4-person Kart and brace yourself for a one-of-a-kind interactive ride.
Equipped with superior AR technology, this gives you the opportunity to enter the Super Nintendo World.
Race through the electrifying courses and be mesmerized by the impressive background.
If you’ve got a competitive heart, battle against your friends and aim for the biggest score! Take your time and appreciate the life-like characters from the famous series.
2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
When you’re at Universal Studios Japan, don’t forget to try Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, another highly popular ride among the crowds.
Enter the Hogwarts castle and relive the moments from your favorite Harry Potter scenes.
This ride takes you to some nostalgic locations from the series. Not only that but you’d also capture a glimpse of different Harry Potter characters.
Witness some dragons, dementors, and other movie creatures while onboard.
So, get on the simulated flight and experience the thrill as you maneuver your virtual broomstick.
3. The Flying Dinosaur
Take flight on The Flying Dinosaur ride, a thrilling roller coaster that will satisfy your adrenaline cravings as you seek thrills and excitement in Universal Studios Japan.
Offering some 360-degree swings up in the air, this guarantees a fun and wild experience.
Get excited by the continuous twists, turns, and even some loops! While enjoying the rush, try to catch the panoramic Jurassic Park landscape. For sure, this would double up your excitement.
4. Jurassic Park – The Ride
Jurassic Park – The Ride gives you another stirring escapade that you wouldn’t dare to miss. The place itself is something out of the world.
It’s like you’re entering the world of dinosaurs. Take a good look at the massive prehistoric creatures around the area. And, beware because some are bound to scare you!
And of course, the water journey is bounded by energizing drops and water splashes. So, get on the boat and immerse yourself in this memorable ride.
5. Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem welcomes you to an interactive 3D simulator ride. As one of the most-visited Universal Studios Japan attractions, there could be long queues at the entrance.
Here, you get to meet the Minions as well as Gru and his daughters while onboard. Have fun with the colorful scenes filled with humor and heartwarming emotions.
And before I forget, this is actually a fast-paced adventure. So, prepare for the wild ride and be on alert for different obstacles along the way.
6. Flight of the Hippogriff
Flight of the Hippogriff adds another layer of fun for visitors. This family-friendly attraction mimics the Harry Potter landscape with a twist.
Here, you straddle on a Hippogriff-theme coaster with your family and friends.
Take joy in this magical immersion that is full of enthralling swoops and soars.
And while riding the legendary creature, enjoy the gorgeous views around. Spot the famous Hogwarts Castle along with other scenic sites in the park.
7. Hollywood Dream – The Ride
Experience the exhilarating thrills of Hollywood Dream – The Ride, a sensational roller coaster that awaits you within Universal Studios Japan.
Climb on this steel coaster that guarantees a one-of-a-kind experience. Fascinatingly, this one actually offers two versions―Forward and Backward.
If you’re looking for a traditional version, the Forward option is the best. But if want some challenge, then go for the Backdrop. This is a reverse coaster where you’d be dragged in the opposite direction.
8. Freeze Ray Sliders
The Freeze Ray Sliders is a hidden gem of a ride that offers a unique and exciting experience.
Imagine sliding through a vibrant course while trying to dodge the cool blasts of the Freeze Ray.
You’ll experience the thrill of the slide and the chill of the Freeze Ray in a safe and entertaining environment.
This ride is a great way to enjoy some lighthearted fun with family or friends!
9. Yoshi’s Adventure
Make sure to take the ride on Yoshi’s Adventure, another famous attraction that you shouldn’t miss during your visit to Universal Studios Japan.
Riding this Yoshi-themed vehicle is seemingly a trip back to your childhood.
It’s highly recommended especially if you’re a fan of Super Mario games. Plus, there are plenty of playful interactions and even surprises to look forward to in this popular Universal Studios Japan spot.
Apart from the ride, you’d surely love the cute designs all over the place. From the adorable dinosaur characters to the cute nature constructions, there are lots of areas to capture.
10. Space Fantasy – The Ride
Space Fantasy – The Ride transports you to an intergalactic escapade. Jump on the space-themed vehicle with your loved ones and be dazzled by the mesmerizing scenes during the ride.
See the ethereal landscapes that look straight from the galaxy. These include planets, stars, and many more. Plus, this guarantees you amusing maneuvers that would no doubt pump up your senses.
11. Elmo’s Go-Go Skateboard
Elmo’s Go-Go Skateboard is one of the best choices for those with kids. In this attraction, you are boarded into a colorful skateboard that brings you to an exciting swinging motion.
The ride swings back and forth, then left to right, like that of a skateboard.
And at the center of the vehicle, there’s Elmo. So, if you’re feeling anxious, just get your confidence from the famous red Muppet character!
JAWS invites you to a heart-pounding trip to the fictional Amity Island.
Enter the world of the great white shark and witness this gigantic animatronic creature up close! Along the way, you’d find debris scattered around the waters.
Brave yourself for some intense scenes and terrorizing sounds. And the highlight of the ride is when this giant mammal appears out of nowhere.
So, don’t forget to keep an eye on the waters and be ready for the thrill!
13. Big Bird’s Big Top Circus
Big Bird’s Big Top Circus is a carousel-style attraction at Universal Studios Japan that relaxes your senses for a bit. This is the most suitable choice after all the nerve-wracking encounters.
So, if you’re looking for a fun-filled ride for kids and adults at USJ with a light-hearted vibe, this is one of the best. Plus, the bright colors of the merry-go-round make the place even more comforting.
14. Moppy’s Balloon Trip
Moppy’s Balloon Trip transports you to the expedition up in the sky.
Step into one of the colorful balloons, and have a good time with the light, circular motions.
And if you’re attentive enough, you’d witness Moppy right at the center of the structure. Don’t forget to say hi and continue the fun!
15. The Flying Snoopy
The Flying Snoopy caps off the most recommended rides in the park. This is another moderate experience that carries you slightly above the ground.
So, cherish this relaxing moment with some easy spins and let your kids enjoy this moment!
Why Buying Universal Studios Japan Tickets Online is So Important
Universal Studios Japan is an extremely popular theme park that attracts a large number of local and international visitors. The park experiences a high volume of visitors all year round.
To avoid getting stuck in long queues at the ticketing counter, I highly recommend booking your USJ tickets online in advance.
By purchasing tickets online, you can conveniently enter the park directly using e-tickets on your phone. This not only saves you time but also secures the preferred date of your visit.
Here’s the link for you to purchase USJ tickets early:
Summary: The Best Rides at Universal Studios Singapore
Video Game Themed Attractions
- Mario Kart: Koopa’s Challeng
- Yoshi’s Adventure
Movie Inspired Rides and Adventures
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Roller Coasters and Thrill Rides
- Jurassic Park – The Ride
- The Flying Dinosaur
- Hollywood Dream – The Ride
- Flight of the Hippogriff
- Space Fantasy – The Ride
Children’s Themed Adventures
- Freeze Ray Sliders
- Elmo’s Go-Go Skateboard
- Big Bird’s Big Top Circus
- Moppy’s Balloon Trip
- The Flying Snoopy
Take Pictures with Mario & Luigi and Minion Characters
1. Mario and Luigi
There’s so much to do in the park, and that includes meeting the ever-famous duo, Mario and Luigi.
You can find them interacting with the crowd at the Super Nintendo World zone. So, take your time to find them for a remembrance!
But of course, you can’t miss the adorable Minions. Head to the Minion Park and snap some cute photos of these bright, yellow characters.
Because of their popularity, there might be long queues around, so you might need to wait for your turn.
Popular Souvenir Stores
Universal Studios Japan not only provides amazing rides for travelers but also a series of stores for souvenir shopping. There are cute plushies, wizarding stuff, craft materials, bags, shirts, and more.
And since there are lots of shops here, you won’t run out of options to satisfy your shopping needs. So, navigate around different shops and bring home some unique stuff.
1. Mario Motors and Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment
- Mario Motors: For Mario Kart fanatics, this is definitely meant for you. Go over the selection of merchandise, from Mario-themed toys to rare collectibles.
- Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment: Meanwhile, if you’re an avid fan of Harry Potter, you’ve got a place for you as well. Spend time inside this carefully curated store for all certified Potterheads.
2. Snoopy Studios Store and Fun Store
- Snoopy Studios Store: Bring home some adorable Snoopy and Peanuts merchandise from this famous store. Here, you’d come across themed stuff, from plushies to bags and clothing.
- Fun Store: From the name itself, this shop is brimming with colorful and lively vibes. Explore each section and discover all sorts of lovely items. These include accessories, bags, toys, and more.
3. Minions Pop Shop and Sweet Surrender
- Minions Pop Shop: For a Minion-focused store, you’ve got to pop by this place. Here, you’d be surrounded by a variety of Minion merchandise, from the latest fashion stuff to some cute accessories.
- Sweet Surrender: This place is meant for the sweet tooth. Here, you’d find different kinds of sweet treats. Try the mega-sized candies or opt for some tasty gummies.
4. The Amazing Spider-Man Store and It’s Soooo Fluffy!
- The Amazing Spider-Man Store: When it comes to Spider-Man merchandise, you’ve got everything covered here. Check out each stall and treat yourself to some action figures and collectible items.
- It’s Soooo Fluffy!: And if you’re into Fluffy from the movie Despicable Me, don’t hesitate to visit this store. Here, you’d get a lot of adorable unicorn mementos such as bags, cellphone casings, accessories, and stuffed toys.
After enjoying the rides at USJ, it’s time to enjoy a delightful lunch.
Below are some recommended restaurants where you can satisfy your cravings. So, take a look at the list beforehand to help you save time.
1. Kinopio’s Café, Amity Landing Restaurant, Snoopy’s Backlot Café and Lost World Restaurant
- Kinopio’s Café: If you want steaks or burgers, this one is a good choice. Try their King Bowser’s Hamburger Steak with Bread or Rice (2,400 yen) or the Mario’s Bacon Cheeseburger (2,300 yen). They also have Teriyaki Chicken & Super Star Rice (2,200 yen)
- Amity Landing Restaurant: This is another recommendation for lunch. Their best-seller is the Sandwich Meal (Shark Meat with Meat Sauce), which costs 1,750 yen. For some meals, they serve Chicken Sandwich Meal for 1,650 yen and Fried Chicken Meal for 1,550.
- Snoopy’s Backlot Café: For some Italian options, you’d love this place. Order their Corn Cream Spaghetti (1,650 yen) or their Spaghetti Bolognese Set (1,550 yen). If you want a local dish, they have a Teriyaki Beef Burger Set (1,450 yen).
- Lost World Restaurant: From chicken to beef meals, there’s something to interest you here. Have a taste of their Barbecue Beef Sandwich Meal (1,900 yen) or the Spare Rib with Fried Chicken Set (2,100 yen). Another option is the Teriyaki Pork Sandwich Meal (1,700 yen)
2. HAPPINESS CAFE, Louie’s N.Y. Pizza Parlor, Mario Cafe & Store and Beverly Hills Boulangerie
- HAPPINESS CAFE: If you’re looking for some Minion-themed resto, you’re lucky. This place serves Minion Burger Meal and Minion Fried Chicken Meal, costing 2,100 yen each. Another delicious choice is the Keema Curry Meal for only 2,000 yen.
- Louie’s N.Y. Pizza Parlor: Enjoy a platter of Italian goodness in this pizzeria. Some of their top-selling foods are the Pizza Bolognese (1,650 yen) and the Pizza Quattro Formaggi (1,550 yen). You might also love their Pizza Margherita or Pizza Spicy Pepperoni, which only costs 1,450 yen.
- Mario Cafe & Store: For desserts, you can’t miss this café. Revel in their sweet treats such as the Pancake Sandwich Mario’s Cap Strawberry Shortcake and the Pancake Sandwich Luigi’s Cap Grape No-Bake Cheesecake. Each is priced at 700 yen.
- Beverly Hills Boulangerie: Spoil yourself with luscious French dishes. Their menu includes Kento Nanami Casse-Croute Meal (1,900 yen) and Croissant Sandwiches (1,600 yen). They also have the Chicken & Colorful Vegetables Sandwich Meal for 1,500 yen.
Have you included Tokyo Disneyland in your travel plans? If so, my article detailing the must-try rides at Tokyo Disneyland will surely come in handy.
- Pit Stop Popcorn: Grab a bucket of popcorn from this famous store. They have Mario Kart Popcorn Bucket for only 5,200 yen as well as Super Star Popcorn Bucket for 4,500 yen.
- Amity Ice Cream: If you’re on the hunt for some cold treats, this is it. You can order their Ice Cream (850 yen) or their Ice Cream Float (550 yen).
- Delicious Me! The Cookie Kitchen: For some sweet snacks, you’d get several options here. Try their Cookie Sandwich (Custard Cream & Fruit), the Minion Cookie Sandwich, or the Tim Cookie Sandwich. Each sandwich costs 600 yen.
- POP-A-NANA: This is another stall for your popcorn cravings. Two of their best-sellers are the Minion Popcorn Bucket at 4,500 yen and the Tim Popcorn Bucket at 4,500 yen.